With just under two months to San Diego Manufacturing Day, we’re kicking off a five-part blog series on San Diego-made products you didn’t know were made right in our backyard. Here are five of some of your favorite products #MadeinSD:
- WD-40 – If you’ve fixed a squeaky door, greased a bike chain or worked on cars, chances are you’ve used WD-40. Founded as a chemical company in 1953, WD-40 Company remains a staple in San Diego manufacturing. Gary Ridge, president and CEO of WD-40 explains, “San Diego is a good city to be in if you’re in international business, as I can be on a call with London in the morning and with Shanghai in the afternoon. We like to say ‘the sun never sets on WD-40.”
- TaylorMade golf clubs – PGA Tour pros like Dustin Johnson, Jason Day and Sergio Garcia can be seen swinging TaylorMade clubs in tournaments watched by millions almost weekly. Best known for innovating metal drivers starting in 1979, TaylorMade remains the largest golf equipment and apparel company in the world. Fore!
- Taylor Guitars – Used by world-famous musicians including Jason Mraz and Taylor Swift, Taylor Guitars – located in San Diego’s East County – is the world’s leading guitar manufacturer. With operations on both sides of the border, Taylor maintains a high-level of quality control over its products.
- Stone Brewing craft beer– The recognizable gargoyle and award-winning beer from Stone has made waves for taking on “corporate beer”. Started in North County in 1996, Stone now boasts seven locations including a newly opened brewery in Berlin. Cheers!
- Illumina's instruments for genetic sequencing – Recently named the “Google of Genetic Testing”, Illumina has taken over San Diego’s UTC business center which houses the company’s worldwide headquarters and more than 2,000 employees. More than 90 percent of the world’s genetic sequencing is done on Illumina instruments.
Stay tuned for our next list: five #MadeinSD products used by the world’s top athletes
Celebrate with us October 7. Visit sdmfgday.com to get involved.